Saturday, January 27, 2007

"Birth"


I thought the word “birth” would be easy to create, but as I started actually thinking of how to illustrate this I found it rather difficult. I started brainstorming and thought of things that were coming up, as if they were growing or rising. I thought of a flower or a plant that is rising up. I also thought of the usual things associated with birth, like a baby and a mother. Then I decided that I'd rather make something that was more abstract. I picture “birth” as being something that has action and life. I then thought of an egg. I drew an egg that has cracked open and things are flying up as if they are being born and reaching for the sky. I did not want to do the literal interpretation and put a chick hatching, so I added the symbols flying up to make it abstract to a point.

4 comments:

Sam said...

I like your choice of making this image partly abstract to broaden the scope of the image. This gets the idea of birth as the beginning of all life across.

Shade_Curt said...

I love this idea of yours. It is neat and clean. Looking at it though, i must say that I would not have thought of "birth" it just looks happy, and there.

Priscilla said...

I agree of with the previous comment on how it looks abstract but I love the way it can be an abstract representation of "birth." Almost would love to see it as an abstract painting.

Anonymous said...

I, too, had an egg in my first idea for Birth. I think the illustration is fun and playful. It kind of reminds me of easter eggs. :D I also like how you didn't define what was hatching. It could be anything from a baby chick to a design idea being born. Since it could be used in ways not just relating to animals, I think that makes this illustration very successful.