Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Package Design (of a sort)


I never paid much attention to grocery bags before, until I went to Sweetbay and took my purchase home in an ugly, opaque putty-colored bag. Why is the bag this color? Is it meant to imply strength? Maybe the consumer is supposed to relate a more solid color to a sturdier bag. Compared to Wal-Mart and Publix bags it’s very different because both of these stores have more transparent bags.
Intrigued, I continued by analyzing both Publix and Wal-Mart bags. I think it is interesting that Publix has been a pioneer in using white in their packaging but it is Wal-Mart that uses white bags. Publix always has bag recycling facilities at their stores; maybe the natural beige is supposed to represent the ability to recycle the bags, or encourage consumers to do so.

2 comments:

April said...

Wow! I never paid that much attention to grocery bags either! I would agree that the Publix is probably the brown in an attempt to get consumers to notice and recycle them. I also heard once (I don't recall from who), that the brown plastic grocery bags are the natural color after being recycled, so Publix is saving money on not dying them white or any other color while promoting recycling.

jenn said...

I never thought grocery bags to be a package, but they totally are. I most often shop at Publix, so I'm the most familiar with their bags. They do look more natural. Have you seen the green fabric bags Publix now has as a part of their GreenWise movement? You're suppose to bring them everytime you shop and use them over and over to keep from using the plastic?