Saturday, January 20, 2007


Winn-Dixie Dishwasher Gel Detergent

First off, the packaging was clearly designed to mimic that of Cascade, but very poorly done indeed. This picture, unfrtunately doesn't do justice to the horrid labeling as it continues on the back side.

On the front:
The word "Dishwasher" is in a bold blue gradient with an outline. There's an illustration of a wine glass floating in bright blue water and the background has a lime coloring to it. Oh, and I can't forget the Winn-Dixie logo that looks as if it was just slapped on at the last second.

On the back:
The same gross Dishwasher gradient thing. That big Winn-Dixie logo, as if you forgot before turning it around...and the type, there's so much of it cluttered together that I honestly, can't bear to read it. blah.

The whole design is boring...so boring in fact that I'm going to stop here before I fall asleep on my keyboard. *yawn*

6 comments:

Alex Olson said...

It seems like a lot of generic store brands copy off Cascade. Target's generic brand copies off the green bottle and yellow top as well, but the label design is much better than this one. It also says, "compare to Cascade" in the corner, but anyway...this is a pretty horrible design. If you're redoing this one, it would be cool to see some different colors.

Sherrielb86 said...

Now, I know I'm not in this class lol but the weird green is just killing me! Why would you want to use that nasty green on a box of dishwasher detergent? Not only is it ugly, but it blends right in on the shelf too.

Kim said...

Um, yeah. I think even if a product wants to live up to its competitor, it should not try to mimic their design. The same thing goes for Pantene Pro V. I buy Pantene Pro V, but there is always this knockoff stuff sitting right next to it. I think even a generic brand should try to make a statement and stand out.

Stella said...

Kim,
I completely agree with what you said. Just because it's the generic brand doesn't mean it should mimic the orginal product's design. I mean, I understand that it wants to say, "Hey look, compare me to this one...and I'm cheaper!" but I think that it just makes the generic product seem like the "other, cheaper, not as good" version.

RYAN said...

The way the generic is set up on the shelves doesn't help either. They should keep the Cascade brand all together and the Crappy generic brand together next to it, not mixed every other bottle or box. The generic gets lost within the Cascade's packaging.

Seansurfn2 said...

I see this products design as being really dull and not using very good colors for the packaging. It's not in my opinion in best interest to simply mimic aother brands packaging every time. I think just to start that the box looks old to me and makes me feel like it's been sitting there for awhile since the mid 80's and the boxes color dulled and darkened for oxidation.. Ok that an exaggeration but you get the point.