Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Package Design

I don’t know how intricate you can make a tuna can, but I think if a graphic designer gets their hands on this, they can do a much better job than what is there. The pale peach color reminds me of skin and when thinking of food, that is not what I’d like to be thinking about. The typeface is thick with a small serif, but I think it could definitely use some work. Compared to the StarKist cans of tuna, the Winn Dixie brand of tuna looks dull and nasty. In addition, I noticed that every can on the shelf is blue…except for the Bumble bee brand, which is white. Was there a meeting that all the tuna packaging designers got together for and discussed that all of their packages shall be blue and they shall all look exactly the same on the shelf? If so, they need a new president, because I think that makes every can look the same. The only thing that makes the StarKist can stand out more than the others is the sharp blue and the little illustration. Seriously, the Winn Dixie brand of tuna looks like a can of bandades or something…I can picture it saying “chunk light bandades.” That tan really needs to go.

3 comments:

RYAN said...

MMMM... bandaids, let's make a banaid sandwhich.... MMMMMM..... LOL! Yes I agree, tuna cans definetly need some work!

Alex Olson said...

I saw the cans when I was at Winn-Dixie and they look even worse in person. Those are such random colors to use, but it does make them stick out, although not in a good way.

Stella said...

What is up with those cans? Come to think of it...what the hell is up with all this bad design?!? Those colors! Uuggghhh!

I <3 tuna...yeah, we go way back but this...this is just not my kinda tuna. No sir, don't like it. :P