Sunday, October 14, 2007

Form and Space week 3


This is a project I did for 3-D design in community college. It’s a cube made from foam core with circles cut out. Painted canvas covers the holes. Some of the canvas panels have buttons sewn on. Others have textured paper soaked in paint smoothed on. The one on top has a freeform wire shape attached. The sides are glued and sewn together. I had to cut a hole in the bottom to thread the cord through pre-cut holes. It’s painted with spray paint, red layered over black. The idea was that it would represent a view into my own heart, which wasn’t feeling too friendly at the time. The tangled wire is pretty in a way but like a maze, confusing and possibly dangerous. The black tree with the curved branches is my signature design. It’s beautiful in a gothic way. The fact that the box is sewn together makes its construction seem hasty and careless. But it is a solid cube, so it’s attempting to be a solid structure.

2 comments:

theeyeinside said...

That's awesome!! I love it. I had a similar idea for a painting that had to do with barbed wire, brick walls, etc., so I can relate. It's a beautiful piece. :)

April said...

This is really nice, I like it alot. I can understand the feelings you might have had when you created it, it comes through in the cube. Nice week to post it too!