Monday, November 12, 2007

Form and Space


This is an example of Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture found at Florida Southern College in Lakeland. I took this photo for the “Architrans” assignment in DVC. The wall looks textured but relatively flat from far away, but when you get up close you can see how much detail went into creating the texture. There are deep blocks cut out and steps cut into the sides. I say “cut out” but I don’t know whether maybe this is actually concrete? I know a lot of architects felt liberated by concrete earlier in the 20th century. It’s very useful for creating such detail. What I love about this wall is that it can be viewed and appreciated from all angles. In that way it actually defies the definition of a wall. I looked at it from underneath, straight on, and both sides, and always saw a new, interesting view.

1 comment:

mcp_graphics said...

I have been to FSC its great architecture. But, it doesn't even compare to his Falling Water house. His work is beautiful.