Sunday, May 11, 2008



Food Sculpture
Ok. So the Culinary School might be upset at me for saying this but you don’t need to take a class or have a degree in culinary arts to carve fruit and vegetables. If you can carve something out of an 8x8x8 floral foam box then you can carve lily pads out of a watermelon. Heck, I‘ve carved things out of pumpkins every year since I was 6 years old.

Carved fruit baskets and vegetable trays have become very popular nowadays, and it has been slowly moving flowers out of the market. Don’t get me wrong, though, flowers are still very big as a gift- especially last minute. I remember watching the news a couple months back about a school banning cupcakes to celebrate kids birthday parties. Some parents thought that bringing cupcakes for class parties was unhealthy and parents should bring in fruit baskets instead.

No comments: